Sunday, October 16, 2011

Classic Mashups


I attended my third Comic Con today and book publishers such as Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins and Random House had booths there. It was there that I made a interesting discovery....Classic mashups. For those of you who were like me and were completely unaware that such a thing existed, it's basically authors taking classic novels from authors like Kafka, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, Louis May Alcott, etc, and giving it a different spin. Most of them are horror based with Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves and Sea Serpents. But there are somewhat lighter ones like The Meowmorphosis The Meowmorphosiswhich takes Kafka's classic Metomorphosis The Metamorphosis and has the main character turn into a man size kitten rather than a cockroach. The first one that caught my eye was at the S&S booth called Jane Slayre written by Sherri Browning Erwin Jane Slayre: The Literary C.... This book particularly took my interest because I remember having to read Jane Eyre Jane Eyre in high school and completely loathing it (and I was not exactly one of those students who hated every book I was assigned just because it was an assignment). I actually recall a college English professor raving about it in class, getting completely nauseated and openly expressing my total dislike of the book. In Jane Slayre, judging by the blurb and what I've read on Amazon.com, turns the classic Reed family into vampires and Jane's classmates into Zombies all the while keeping the heroin Jane pretty much the same. From what I've read about other books in this seemingly growing genre such as Wuthering Bites Wuthering Bites and Little Vampire Women Little Vampire Women such minor changes remain a constant. In reading a excerpt from Jane Slayre, the text itself seems to remain ultimately the same, except that instead of using words like "dinner" and "dining"  Erwin uses words like "prey" and "hunting". Many fans of these classics may find this be blasphemous and a ploy to make money off of the vampire/werewolf/zombie fad. Others may be intreguiged to read a lighter comedic spin on the classics. One thing is for certain, horror and scifi fans who deem such classics as out of date and boring will most likely find these books to be a fun mix. I've personally ordered Jane Slayre, Little Vampire Women and Wuthering Bites. I will definitely be blogging my findings once I read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment